If you have never painted your home, you may be wondering; how much does a paint job cost? Or what is the average paint job cost? A lot of homeowners will agree that they shiver at any thought of painting their buildings due to the cost that is involved.
However, these homeowners don’t often carry out rigorous research on how much it will cost to paint their home and blindly conclude that it is not affordable. If you a professional painter, you are probably tired of hearing the question: how much does a paint job cost? It never ends.
How Much Does a Paint Job Cost? An Estimation
So how much does a paint job cost? On an average, it only costs about $80-$790 to paint an average sized room excluding the ceilings, trim and the cost of the paint. If choose to adopt the DIY method, then the total cost of the paint job that you need will definitely not be more than $200-$300 on an average to cover the paint and other tools needed.
Most times, people walk into a professional’s office with one question in their head; how much does a paint job cost? The first question they ask the painters is; how much does it cost for a paint job. While these questions are essential, there are some things you need to consider before you walk into that office or make that call.
Before employing a professional to do a paint job for you, it is important to know the size of the room and all the areas that need to be covered. So, you will determine the amount of paint that is required to cover it all properly. The best possible way to do this is to calculate the size of the area that you want to apply the paint on and add the figures you get together to the length of the wall. Then multiply this number you get by the width of the room from the floor up to the ceiling.
So how much does paint cost? And how much does it cost to paint a room?
Ordinarily, it would take a minimum of two gallons of paint to cover a standard sized room and average paint costs between $30 and $60 per gallon. This cost is mainly determined by the kind of paint that is needed for the paint job. Note that paint typically come in three different finishes; high gloss, flat and semi-gloss. With the high gloss being most expensive of the three.
Flat finishes are a little bit dull and would suit your home if you are looking to give your home a cool look, and you have enough time, in the long run, to clean more often. Semi-gloss is easy to maintain as you can easily wipe dirt off them with a clean cloth. However, it is highly recommended that flat finishes are adopted when painting a living room so the paint job can stand out easily. On the other hand, Glossy finishes can be used for hallways since the dirt that they pick up can easily be wiped off. They also look brighter at night.
Pricing the Essentials
An important player in the job is the primer. It is a mainstay in every paint job as it helps make the paint stand out on top of the underlayer that it is supposed to cover. This often comes when the new paint that is being used is a lot lighter than the old one beneath it.
Primer costs between $7 to $15 per can and you would need about two cans in order to do a proper paint job.
They are certain basic items that are needed to do a proper paint. The cost for these items should all be added when you are considering the topic: how much does it cost to paint a house? These items are often provided by a contracted professional painter. However, in some cases, you have to pay for only the labor that is required for the job and provide all the materials yourself when it’s a DIY paint job.
These items include but are not limited to:
• Brushes: Trim and sash brushes for printing close surfaces, long tail handles on big brushes for wider surfaces.
• Tape: This is used to stop the paint from staining areas you don’t want it to and also give the desired pattern.
• Drop cloth: To protect the floor from paint stains.
• Paint tray: This would keep out a portion of the paint so you don’t spill it all.
• Paint rollers: Paint rollers make it easier for painters to cover a significant portion quickly.
• Ladder: The use of a ladder is vital if you want to cover large areas.
• Small brushes: This would help with touch ups around the room that are being painted.
When it comes to painting the exterior of your home it is pertinent to note that you might have to hire a professional painter.
So how much does a paint job cost when you hire a professional painter?
This will cost you about $1000 and $3000 depending on the size of your home. Other factors that come into play includes how easy it is to access the areas that need to be painted and the texture that you are looking to get from your paint job.
Furthermore, you also need to make the use of the best quality paint for the exterior of your home because they are always subject to harsh weather conditions. The paint job may not bring the decided outcome if you use a low-quality paint. Using the best quality paints will save you a lot of money over time because you won’t have to spend money on it in the foreseeable future.
Here’s how to determine the cost and quantity of the paint job of the exterior of the building:
• A 2,100 square-foot home will need a minimum of 12 gallons of paint (a top-quality paint will cover about 350 square feet in just two coats).
• 2,100 / 350 = 6 x 2 = 12 gallons.
• Always double the number of paint that you’ll need as it always requires more to cover the exterior of the building.
- Cleaning up the walls to remove any dust, dirt, and moss that may have built up over time.
- Repairing or fixing any loose or broken fascia, trim and soffits before commencing.
- Ensuring you fill in any holes or dents with putty because leaving this out will affect the paint job when you are done.
- Making sure you apply primer to the side of the room that requires painting.
- Making sure your first application is light enough to make room for the real texture that you are going for.
The right paint job can work wonders in the interior and exterior of the building and it requires proper research with professionals. This way, you don’t end up using products that will wear off over a short period. Choosing the right colors is also vital.
With the above information, you should be able to the question: how much does a paint job cost? Let us know how your paint job worked out. Do you have any saving tips worth mentioning?